Saturday, August 21, 2010

Tau Yu Bak (Braised Pork in Soya Sauce)

Photobucket
I hyperventilated when I saw the fats. Since young, my mum removed all visible skin from any type of meat at every meal so I practically grew up not eating chicken skin, kong ba bao etc etc.

When  I made this and I saw the frightening jelly-like skin, I got so turned off but the sauce is not bad lah. Of course I removed the skin before eating.

This when served hot with rice, is amazing. The sauce is like.. undescribable. I think every family cooks this dish differently but noone in my family made this before so I don't have a secret recipe or whatever.

Well, I like the saltiness of the sauce to overpower the sweetness.

Ain't a healthy dish but..... I kinda like it. The best thing is, it goes so well with rice.

Some people add potatoes to the dish. But I thought the amt. of carbs is mega overpowering already.

Ingredients
  1. 500g pork belly
  2. 4 eggs
  3. 10 dried chinese mushrooms
  4. 1 block of firm tau kwa
  5. 4 stripes of tau pok
  6. 2 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
  7. 3-4 tbsp dark soya sauce
  8. 1 litre of water
  9. 2 star anise
  10. 1 cinnamon stick
  11. 5 cloves 
  12. 1 garlic bulb (skin unremoved but slightly bruised)
  13. 1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
  14. 1 tbsp white peppercorn

Directions
  1. Mix dark soy sauce and kecap manis together. 
  2. In a pot or wok, brown pork belly and sauce on each side. 
  3. Add water, star anise, cinammon stick, cloves, garlic, 5 spice powder, peppercorn and mushroom. When it boils, lower fire and simmer for 30 minutes.
  4. Cook eggs till they are hard boiled in another pot. Peel egg shell.
  5. After 30 minutes, add tau kwa, tau pok and peeled eggs. Simmer for another 30 minutes. 
  6. Taste and adjust accordingly. 
  7. Serve hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment